FORT PIERCE, Fl. – The Penn State Behrend baseball team fell 6-2 in 13 innings to Hood on Friday night and then defeated Eastern Nazarene 5-1 in their last game of spring break on Saturday morning in Fort Pierce, Florida.
Score: Hood 6, Penn State Behrend 2 (13 innings)
Records: Hood (7-2), Penn State Behrend (2-5)
* Freshman Thomas Zbezinski (Gibsonia, PA/Pine Richland) had a stellar performance on the mound, throwing 15 strikeouts in seven innings and giving up just three hits
* Behrend generated its offense in the fourth inning
* Ian Taylor walked and advanced on Ryan Weaver's single, before Zack Bowen walked to load the bases
* Jake Deitz ripped an RBI single for a 1-0 lead and Scott Sada (Saegertown, PA/Saegertown) grounded out to third to send home Weaver
* After the Lions scored twice in the fourth, only five of the final 32 batters reached base to end the game.
* Hood responded with two runs in the eighth and then plated the remaining runs in the top of the 13th
* Andrew Wenner tied the school record with four stolen bases.
* The Blazers Nate Luscombe gave up four hits and four walks in addition to striking out nine.
Score: Penn State Behrend 5, Eastern Nazarene 1
Records: Penn State Behrend (3-5), Eastern Nazarene (5-4)
* The Lions took a 2-0 lead with a run in the fourth and fifth
* In the fourth, Sada walked and stole second and third to be set up for Brittner's RBI single to center field for a 1-0 lead
* The fifth inning mimicked the fourth but this time with McGuire as the runner
* McGuire walked and stole second and scored on a single down the left-field line by Sada for a 2-0 lead
* Eastern Nazarene tallied its lone run in the sixth, before Behrend added a run in the seventh and two more in the eighth
* The Lions two runs in the eighth were due to sacrifice flies from Justin Foreman and Weaver
* Sada finished 3-for-4 on the day
* Eric Mikulan got the win with six-innings of work and striking out three and Zack Bowen recorded his first collegiate save, pitching the final three innings and fanning three
* The Behrend Lions return to action on Sunday, March 17 for a doubleheader at Muskingum at 1 p.m.