FORT PIERCE, Fl. – The Penn State Behrend baseball team got the come from behind victory in the 2019 season opener, defeating Wilkes 8-4 in non-conference action over spring break in Florida.
Score: Penn State Behrend 8, Wilkes 4
Records: Penn State Behrend (1-0), Wilkes (1-1)
* Behrend erased a four-run deficit with six runs in the fourth
* Wilkes got an early jump on runs with a double in the first, a wild pitch in the second along with a 2RBI single in the second to score all its runs
* Justin Foreman (Oakdale, PA/South Fayette) hit a three-run double to left center in the fourth with two outs to give the Lions the lead for good at 5-4
* The Lions added two more in the sixth for the final margin
* Freshman Joshua Wagner (South Park, PA/South Park) tallied two of Behrend's five hits and knocked in a pair of runs
* Eight different players scored for the Lions
* Starting pitcher Phil Myers (DuBouis, PA/DuBois Central Catholic) got the win, hurling the first six innings and striking out seven
* Myers threw 70 strikes on 90 pitches thrown and gave up just two earned runs
* Ben Ramey (Export, PA/Franklin Regional) pitched 2.2 innings of effective relief, allowing one hit on eight batters faced
* Behrend drew 15 walks in the nine innings of play
* The Behrend Lions return to action tomorrow against Lebanon Valley at 2 p.m. in Fort Pierce, Florida.