PITTSBURGH, Pa. – The Carnegie Mellon men's basketball scored the final four points of the game to defeat Penn State Behrend 69-66 in non-conference action on Saturday afternoon.
Score: Carnegie Mellon 69, Penn State Behrend 66,
Records: Penn State Behrend (4-3), Carnegie Mellon (5-2)
* Carnegie Mellon used free throws down the stretch and had a big defensive stop with time expiring to hold off the Lions
* The Tartans went 4-for-4 from the charity stripe to score the final points of the game
* The game was as close as the final score and was tied 14 times before the Tartans took the lead in the final minute
* The Behrend Lions missed their last chance from behind the arc on the final possession to send the game into overtime but Carnegie Mellon forced the turnover after the offensive rebound with two seconds left
* The win marks the first over Behrend since 2011-12 season
* The Tartans held the Lions to a season-low six three-pointers in 22 attempts and 41.7 percent shooting from the floor
* Devin Pope (Ripley, NY/Chautauqua Lake) led Behrend with 19 points
* The Tartans got a game-high 22 points from Zach Howarth
* Kenny Fukon (Cranberry Township, PA/Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic) added 10 points and a team-best eight rebounds
* Dorian Connors (Girard, PA/Girard) tied a career high with four blocks
* The Behrend Lions return to action on Wednesday at Fredonia in non-conference action, beginning at 7 p.m.