NEW CONCORD, Ohio – The Penn State Behrend baseball team was on the losing end of a ninth inning walk-off on Saturday at the hands of the Muskingum Fighting Muskies.
Final Score: Muskingum 7, Penn State Behrend 6
Records: Penn State Behrend 5-7, Muskingum 8-4
* Trailing by three in the top of the ninth, the Lions capitalized on defensive miscues to slim the deficit to just one run and move Zack Bowen (Pittsburgh, PA/Serra Catholic), the tying run to third
* Bowen scored on an Isaac Stouffer (Punxsutawney, PA/Punxsutawney) ground out to knot it up (6-6) the following at-bat
* With runners on first and second, Mac Ciocco (Venetia, PA/Peters Township) drove a groundball up the middle but was denied of a potential go-ahead RBI single by the Muskies' second baseman, Dominic Gorence
* In the bottom of the ninth, Muskingum got the winning run to second via walk and hit by pitch, ultimately scoring via walk-off single through the left side of the infield
* Despite registering two outs by the first two batters of the game, Behrend mustered two runs in the opening frame to jump out to a 2-0 lead
* After Muskingum responded with two of their own in the bottom half, the Lions reclaimed the advantage in the third inning, plating the games last run until the sixth inning
* Derrick Shields (Waterford, PA/Fort LeBoeuf) got the start on the mound tossing 5.0 innings allowing four runs
* Stouffer and Juston Jones (Moon Township/Moon) each had a pair of hits with both registering a double
* Ciacco had a team-high two RBIs
* Devin Hicks (Clifton Springs, NY/Midlakes) and Evan Bromley (Bethel Park, PA/Bethel Park) each pitched scoreless innings in relief
* The Lions are right back at Mose Morehead Field tomorrow for a doubleheader with Muskingum beginning at 12 p.m.