ERIE, Pa. – The Penn State Behrend baseball team put up 15 runs in a win over non-conference opponent Hiram on Friday. The Lions collected 17 hits while limiting the Terriers to two runs in the nine-inning bout.
Final Score: Penn State Behrend 15, Hiram 2
Records: Penn State Behrend 13-9, Hiram 9-13
* The Terriers struck first in the opening frame but were held scoreless through the next eight innings
* An eight-run third inning powered the Lions to their 13th win of the season
* Zack Bowen (Pittsburgh, PA/Serra Catholic) opened the inning with a single and capped off the rally with a two-run homerun, the third of his career
* Five other players registered an RBI in the inning including Chase Palmer (Brookeville, PA/Brookeville) who brought home two on a double to left center
* Bowen and Palmer collected RBI-singles in the fifth with Colin Harger (Pittsburgh, PA/Shaler) and Daniel Boehme (Peters Township, PA/Seton LaSalle) drawing bases-loaded walks to contribute to a four spot in the fifth frame
* Colin Kelly (Erie, PA/Cathedral Prep) entered in relief of Ben Bowen (Pittsburgh, PA/Serra Catholic) during the fifth inning, pitching 3.2 innings of scoreless baseball allowing just one hit and fanning a career-high seven batters
* Will Jamison (Shaler PA/Shaler) closed out the ninth with a clean frame, striking out one
* 10 different players had a hit for Behrend with four having multi-hit performances
* Bowen, Palmer and John Berger (Wexford, PA/Pine-Richland) each had three hits, tying for the team lead
* Bowen and Palmer both drove in three runs and scoring a trio
* Ben Bowen received the win pitching 4.1 innings, allowing one earned run on four hits
* The Lions are scheduled to host Penn State Altoona for a conference doubleheader on Saturday beginning at 2 p.m.
* If the games are to be postponed, the two will play at Mercyhurst University on Sunday, April 17