ERIE, Pa. – The No. 1 Penn State Behrend softball team defeated No. 2 Penn State Altoona 5-2 to capture the 2022 Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) Championships held on Sunday morning.
* Amy Nolte (Imperial, PA/West Allegheny), Ashleigh Schmidt (Sarver, PA/Freeport) and Cami McNany (Emlenton, PA/Allegheny-Clarion Valley) were named to the All-Tournament Team
* The Lions captured their second straight and 10th overall AMCC Championship
* Behrend earns the AMCC automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament
Score: Penn State Behrend 5, Penn State Altoona 2
Records: Penn State Behrend (23-13), Penn State Altoona (20-13)
* Similar to the second-round game yesterday against the Altoona Lions, Behrend broke a 2-all tie with three unanswered runs for the win
* Schmidt pitched the complete game for her 11th win on the season, allowing seven hits and two runs with three strikeouts
* Eight different players tallied a hit and five each had an RBI
* Schmidt also had two hits including a double with an RBI
* Nolte tallied the eventual game-winning single to score Kayla Salvini (McDonald, PA/Fort Cherry) in the bottom of the fourth for the go-ahead run at 3-2
* Behrend had three hits in the fifth to score two more runs to make it 5-2
* With two outs, Kylee Bundy (DuBois, PA/DuBois) singled through the left side and then scored on a triple by Emi Curcio (Perryopolis, PA/Frazier)
* Schmidt drove in Curcio on the next at-bat with a short single back to the pitchers mound
* Sierra Williams (Grove City, PA/Lakeview), Nolte and Bundy made big defensive plays in the sixth for three up, three down and halt Altoona from the comeback
* The Lions await the NCAA Division III selection show on Monday at 1 p.m.