ERIE, Pa. – The Penn State Behrend baseball team will travel to La Roche University to face No. 3 Penn State Altoona in the first game of the double-elimination Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) Championship Round, beginning on Thursday afternoon.
* The Lions are looking to capture their sixth AMCC Championship this weekend
* Behrend last won the title in 2013
* Last season, the Lions fell 15-11 to Pitt-Greensburg in the AMCC Semifinals
* Behrend earned the No. 2 seed with a 12-6 conference record
* The Lions are coming off a pair of losses to Otterbein on Monday (1-0, 9-0)
* Scott Sada (Saegertown, PA/Saegertown) and Joshua Wagner (South Park, PA/South Park) rank first and third in NCAA Division III statistics in doubles and doubles per game, respectively.
* Thomas Zbezinski (Gibsonia, PA/Pine Richland) and Phil Myers have a combined 13-1 record on the mound this season
* Myers boasts a 2.66 ERA, while Zbezinski leads the team with 47 K's and a 2.88 ERA
* Head Coach Paul Benim is one game away reaching 1,000 games coached for the Behrend baseball program.
No. 3 Penn State Altoona News & Notes:
* Altoona enters the championship weekend with a 26-14 overall record
* The Lions defeated No.6 Pitt-Greensburg 4-3 and 8-7 (10) in the first-round games last weekend
* Altoona trailed in both games and battled back to stay alive for hopes of the AMCC title
* The Lions are looking for their third AMCC Championship, having won in 2000 and 2011
* During the regular season, Behrend won the opener 11-6 and then fell to Altoona 16-10 in the nightcap
* The Behrend Lions now hold a 32-20 lead in the all-time series dating back to 1999
* Behrend has won 13 of the last 17 meetings, including a 9-4 victory in last year's AMCC semifinals