ERIE, Pa. – The No. 16 Penn State Behrend men's soccer team netted three goals in each half to defeat Alfred 6-3 in the opening game of the Herb Lauffer Memorial Tournament on Saturday afternoon.
Final Score: Behrend 6, Alfred 3
Records: Behrend (1-0), Alfred (0-1)
* The Lions never trailed in the game and scored three unanswered goals in the second half to advance to the HLM Championship game
* Junior forward Richard Blanchard (Erie, PA/Cathedral Prep) scored the eventual game-winning goal just 27 seconds into the second half
* Freshman Jordan Floyd (Plum, PA/Plum) had a hand in every goal in the first half
* Floyd netted the game-opening goal at the 2:04 mark to start his collegiate career and then added another goal and an assists for the Lions
* Senior midfielder Nick Kisiel (Erie, PA/Mercyhurst Prep) tallied a goal and an assist for a career-best three points
* After Blanchard started the second half with a side-netting goal, Nick Schwarzel (South Park, PA/South Park) and Tyler Vandemerwe (Erie, PA/Cathedral Prep) added insurances goals late in the half
* Vandemerwe joined Floyd in scoring his first collegiate goal
* Senior goalie Matt Warnaka (Beaver Falls, PA/Blackhawk) got the victory in goal for Behrend
* The Lions earned the first victory in the inaugural meeting between the two teams
The Lions will face Baldwin Wallace tomorrow in championship game of the HLM Tournament at the soccer complex at 2:30 p.m.