ALFRED, NY – The No. 20 Penn State Behrend men's soccer team defeated Alfred State 3-1 in Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) action on Wednesday evening.
Score: No. 20 Penn State Behrend 3, Alfred State 1
Records: No. 20 Penn State Behrend (15-1, 7-1 AMCC), Alfred State (1-13, 1-7 AMCC)
* The Lions earned their seventh AMCC victory to improve their winning streak to four straight
* In the three meetings against the Pioneers, tonight marks the first time Behrend surrendered a goal
* The Lions grabbed a two-goal lead by halftime off a penalty kick goal from Nick Schwarzel (South Park, PA/South Park) and another from Tyler Vandemerwe (Erie, PA/Cathedral Prep)
* Schwarzel buried the PK in the 21st minute for his fifth penalty kick of the season
* Vandemerwe scored his fourth goal of the season off passes from Matthew Romesberg (Hollsopple, PA/North Star) and Nick Laskey (Charleroi, PA/Charleroi) at the 40:16 mark of the first half
* Both teams netted a goal in the second half
* Behrend got its third straight goal of the game five minutes into the second half thanks to Richard Blanchard (Erie, PA/Cathedral Prep) for his team-leading ninth goal this season
* Alfred State registered its only goal on a penalty kick by Ade Adesanya in the 79th minute
* The Lions return to action on Saturday at Pitt-Greensburg. Game time is 1 p.m.