ERIE, Pa. – The Penn State Behrend men's volleyball team rallied back from two sets down to earn a 3-2 victory over Thiel in non-conference action on Tuesday night.
Score: Penn State Behrend 3, Thiel 2 (20-25, 23-25, 25-20, 25-19, 15-12)
Records: Penn State Behrend (1-4), Thiel (1-3)
* The Lions won three unanswered sets to record their first win of the season
* JP Goodsel (Corry, PA/Corry) and Owen Wienczkowski (Waterford, PA/Fort LeBoeuf) each registered three kills in the fifth set to secure the victory
* Behrend had three players with double-digit kills led by Cody Schnur's (Butler, PA/Butler) 15
* Schnur had 15 kills on 26 attempts with no errors for a .577 hitting percentage while adding six blocks
* As a team, the Lions hit .326 and managed 20 blocks in five sets
* Goodsel registered 10 kills and Wienczkowski hit .641 with a career-high 10 kills on 14 attacks with one error
* Adrian Martinez (San Juan, Puerto Rico/Wesleyan Academy) led with 12 digs, while Goodsel and Jack Winterhalter (Williamsville, NY/Williamsville East) tallied eight digs each
* Service errors by the Lions combined with services aces by Thiel helped the Tomcats take a 2-0 lead in the match
* Behrend never trailed in the third set to stay alive and then used an 8-3 run in the fourth to take the lead for good in the set, forcing a set five
* Logan Hering (North East, PA/North East) and Dylan Buzalka (Carlisle, PA/Cumberland Valley) led with three kills each in the fourth set
* Setter Alex Jackson (Cochranton, PA/Cochranton) had a season-best 25 assists and Diego Ortiz (San Juan, Puerto Rico/Wesleyan Academy) contributed 20 assists
* The Behrend Lions will play four matches over the weekend with a pair of non-conference tri-matches. On Saturday the Lions travel to Wilkes and then head to Immaculata on Sunday.