ERIE, Pa. – The Penn State Behrend men's volleyball recorded their fifth straight three-set win, defeating Hilbert 3-0 in the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) opener on Wednesday night.
Score: Penn State Behrend 3, Hilbert 0 (25-14, 25-14, 25-18)
Records: Penn State Behrend (7-4, 1-0 AMCC), Hilbert (1-8, 0-1 AMCC)
* The Behrend Lions keep their unblemished record against the Hawks at 13-0 all-time
* Cody Schnur (Butler, PA/Butler) and JP Goodsel (Corry, PA/Corry) combined for 21 of the team's 45 kills
* Goodsel led with 11 and Schnur registered 10
* Owen Wienczkowski (Waterford, PA/Fort LeBoeuf) hit. 800 on the night with eight kills on 10 attempts and no errors
* Setter Diego Ortiz (San Juan, Puerto Rico/Wesleyan Academy) tallied 17 assists, while Jack Winterhalter (Williamsville, NY/Williamsville East) had a team-best five aces
* At 15-12 in the first set, the Lions went on a 9-2 run and used three kills from Goodsel to win 25-14
* Winterhalter collected three of his five aces in the second set and Alex Jackson (Cochranton, PA/Cochranton) registered three kills to get Behrend a 2-0 lead
* The Lions ended the second set with an 11-3 run for an identical score of 25-14
* In the third set, Behrend had four kills in the final five points to sweep the Hawks
* Goodsel contributed two kills, while Wienczkowski and Ortiz each added a kill
* The Behrend Lions return to action on Sunday at Thiel for a tri-match with Mt. Aloysius. Matches begin at 11 a.m.