ERIE, Pa. – The Penn State Behrend men's volleyball team defeated the Medaille Mavericks in straight sets for their fifth Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference (AMCC) win of the season on Wednesday night.
Score: Penn State Behrend 3, Medaille 0 (25-12, 25-16, 25-17)
Records: Penn State Behrend (11-5, 5-1 AMCC), Medaille (5-11, 2-4 AMCC)
* The Behrend Lions held a 38-17 advantage in kills, only allowing three by the Mavericks in the first set
* JP Goodsel (Corry, PA/Corry) tallied 11 kills and six digs, while Alex Jackson (Cochranton, PA/Cochranton) added 19 assists for the Lions
* Behrend jumped out to a 16-3 lead in the first set thanks to a pair of kills from Diego Ortiz (San Juan, Puerto Rico/Wesleyan Academy) and an ace and kill from Goodsel
* An Owen Wienczkowski (Waterford, PA/Fort LeBoeuf) got the final kill in the set for a 25-12 win
* Down 7-6 in the second, the Lions went on a 14-7 run to take the lead for good for a 25-16 decision
* Goodsel recorded five kills in the final set to help Behrend win the final set 25-17
* Dylan Buzalka (Carlisle, PA/Cumberland Valley) tallied eight kills
* Wienczkowski finished the night with seven kills on 10 attempts and no errors (.700 hitting percentage)
* The Behrend Lions return to action on Saturday with a home tri-match against Penn State Altoona and Hiram. Matches begin at 12 p.m.