ERIE, Pa. – The Mercyhurst men's water polo team edged Penn State Behrend, 14-11, on Friday night in the Junker Center Pool.
Mercyhurst 14, Penn State Behrend 11
* The Lions outscored the Lakers 7-4 in the second half, but could not overcome the six-goal deficit from the first two quarters
* Ryan Kenney (Skippack, PA/Perkiomen Valley) put the Lions on the board first with a goal 16 seconds into the match
* Mercyhurst answered with four straight goals for a 4-1 lead
* Ryan Carpico (Skippack, PA/Perkiomen) and Justin Brown (Healdsburg, CA/Cardinal Newman) each scored just over a minute apart to get Behrend within one at 4-3
* Mercyhurst tacked on another goal for a 5-3 lead at the end of the first quarter
* The Lakers held a 5-1 advantage in the second quarter for a 10-4
* Eli Anderson (Encinitas, CA/San Diequito) led Behrend with three goals on the night and Eugene Kruger (Alpharetta, GA/Foothill) scored a pair of goals in the second half
* The Lions return to action on Saturday at W&J, facing the Presidents at 5:30 p.m. and battling Augustana at 8 p.m.